Visa Information for Foreign Citizens
I. Visas and Residence Permits
1. Diplomatic, service and ordinary visas issued at the diplomatic missions and consular posts of Georgia abroad shall be of multi entries.
Foreign staff of diplomatic missions and consular posts, as well as similar representations accredited to Georgia need visas for their first entry to the territory of Georgia. During their accreditation period they stay in the country and cross the border on the basis of accreditation card issued according to the determined rule of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Georgia, if other is not provided by international obligation.
Ordinary visa shall be issued for determined period of time 360 days at the diplomatic missions and consular posts of Georgia abroad shall be of multi entries.
2. In cases determined by the Georgian legislation visa/entry permit for 360 days (visa fee 100 GEL) can be issued by the Patrol Police of Georgia (sub-divisional institution of the Ministry of Internal Affairs) at border crossing points situated at the Georgian State Border. In exeption, in some cases, visa will be issued for up 90 days.
3. The basis for the stay of an alien in Georgia is a visa or residence permit (permanent or temporary) if other is not provided by this law and international treaties of Georgia.
It is possible to extend the term of validity of diplomatic and service categories of visas on the territory of Georgia that is carried out by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Georgia.
Also it should be taken into account that persons who possess ordinary visas, in case of staying on the territory of Georgia longer than the period determined by the visa, should apply to the Ministry of Justice (www.cra.gov.ge) to receive temporary or permanent residence before the expiration of their visas.
The issuance and extension of the term of validity of the permanent and temporary residence permits on the territory of Georgia for the category of aliens determined by this law is carried out by the Ministry of Justice.
II. Exit of aliens from Georgia
– If an alien leaves the territory of Georgia during ten days after expiration of the term of his/her legal stay he/she would not bear administrative responsibility in the form of penalty.
– An alien staying in Georgia during the period up to three months after expiration of the term of his/her legal stay and willing to leave the territory of Georgia voluntarily has the right to exit from the territory of Georgia without impediment. Also, an alien is obliged to pay the certain amount of penalty before or after leaving the country. In case the amount is not paid he/she will not be given a Georgian visa until he covers the abovementioned debt.
An alien staying in Georgia illegally more than three months after expiration of the term of his/her legal stay and willing to exit from the country voluntarily has the right to leave the territory of Georgia without impediment. Also, he/she is obliged to pay the certain amount of penalty before or after leaving the country. Georgian visa and the permit to enter Georgia will not be issued to him/her for one year.
An alien is obliged to leave the territory of Georgia during ten days after the facts of his/her illegal stay is revealed.
The Ministry of Justice of Georgia or a court takes the decision on the expulsion of an alien from Georgia.
An alien expelled from Georgia will not be issued a Georgian visa or residence permit during one year.
As a result of coming into force of the law of Georgia on “Legal Status of Aliens” from July 1, 2006 ordinary visas are not issued or extended at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Georgia.
Persons, who plan to stay on the territory of Georgia for longer period than determined by their ordinary category of visa, must apply to regional services of the Civil Registration Agency of the Ministry of Justice of Georgia and receive temporary or permanent residence permit.
Address: Central office – Tsereteli Avenue 67a
Saburtalo District Agency – Budapest St.N2
Vake District Agency – Irakli Abashidze St. N68
List of the countries whose citizens do not need a visa to enter and stay on the territory of Georgia for 360 days
All countries of the European Union
United States of America
the Holy See
Principality of Andorra
Republic of Iceland
United Arab Emirates
State of Kuwait
State of Qatar
Kingdom of Bahrain
Antigua and Barbuda
Trinidad and Tobago
Saint Kitts and Nevis